Click on images to see larger versions; click the "back" button to return to the blog. Red Dot indicattes "Sold"

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Latte 007


I made this drawing at Intelligentsia coffee on Randolph St where they make the BEST lattes. They use whole milk and it is never over steamed or scorched tasting, and the quality of the espresso is top notch AND they take the time to put a beautiful design in the foam by pouring the steamed milk into the crema of the espresso in just the right way. It always fills me with delight to see the design and to anticipate the taste of the expertly crafted, balanced cup of wonderful.

I had taken Metra downtown to attend a talk at The Art Institute of Chicago and had just enough time to stop in for my latte treat. The talk was on Caravaggio's Supper at Emmaus that is on a short term temporary loan/exchange from the National Gallery of London. I am so glad that I went. The talk was presented by a young, energetic woman who was very well versed on the subject and held the attention of the record number crowd (the room was packed) for over an hour, peppering her presentation with questions from the group. I tell my students that knowing more about a piece of art does enhance the experience and I'm excited to share what I have learned with them. It is only on display through January 24, 2010 so go see it if you haven't already.

I also went back to see Exquisite Pain, an installation at Finestra Art Space by Susan Aurinko because the photos I had taken at the opening reception weren't of the quality I wanted for an examiner.com article I was writing. This exhibit is up through January 30, 2010 so put it on your list too and save time to wander through the building - it in itself is a treat.

Irene, Irene,

she's got big round eyes
and she's smooth as silk
but all she wants
is a bowl of milk

No comments:

Followers