Click on images to see larger versions; click the "back" button to return to the blog. Red Dot indicattes "Sold"

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wrestlers


Day 50. Half way there. I wanted to do something big to mark the middle, the half way point.
.
So I bit off more than I could chew. I was a good tourist on my first trip to Europe, and when in Rome, I purchased this widely reproduced souvenir sculpture of The Wrestlers.
.
That would have been back in 1991? I was living in Athens, Ohio working for the Department of Residence Life so I had the summers off.
.
That spring I had gone to a conference in San Francisco and met Ignazio who invited me to come and see him in Switzerland if I planned my trip to Europe. I thought - why not?
.
We ended up traveling together staying with his friends part of the time with stops in Zurich, Basil, Paris, Leon, Rome, Venice, and Milan - 3 weeks in all. He speaks Swiss German, French, English and Italian so I had a built in translator.
.
Italy is really HOT in August.
.
If memory serves me properly, I purchased this souvenir on my way to the Sistine Chapel.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Traveling in Europe and seeing fine art, why does this not surprise me.
The piece you drew is very nice. As you know I have been struggling with forms myself so it is good to have something else to look at. I like the composition in this piece too.
Thanks for the book, it is helping.

artist jeff said...

I ended up liking this drawing more after the fact. And it fits in with the idea of objects carrying memories and associations.

Unknown said...

It is such a wonderful piece to begin with and then to see a nice interpretation of it is neat. The more I think about the pieces youa re doing and the memories that you have for/with them, the easier it is to understand how you do them or see them. I think your method may be something I have to try. Drawing somethnig with meaning would make it easier to put myself into it. Like you said "draw what you see, not what you know". If something has memories associated with it it almost would force drawing what you see and your interpretation would come out naturally. I will give it a go I think.

Followers